It's...GAMEDAY! Week Zero is upon us!
Another school year is upon us as most schools have gone back to school this week and the rest next week. Lincoln High School has been in session now for three days...and you know what that means - Ellwood City Wolverines football is back!
The Wolverines take on a familiar foe from last year in the Tigers of Beaver Falls, but some things have changed since then.
- Beaver Falls is in 3A while Ellwood City bounces down to 2A
- Week Zero - Both teams are now competing against each other in Week Zero
- The game involves two Ellwood City native coaches, but now includes Coach Rob Magnifico
- Ellwood City will now play 10 games this year due to Week Zero
Although things have changed a bit, the one thing that hasn't is the hype of Pennsylvania High School Football!
You can catch tonight's game on our social media accounts, or our Youtube Channel feed.
Also, new to our stat system this year is a new way for fans to catch the action - not only can you watch the live video stream, you can now also watch the stat stream as well. Now this is new technology for us as well so some hiccups are to be expected at first, but you can catch the live stat feed below as well!
Notes for the Wolverines:
- Offense - The offense will be focused on the skill players from last year - young gun at QB Ryan Gibbons who came into last season as a Freshman throwing for over 500 yards and 4 Touchdowns will be back at the QB position now as a Sophomore. Along with Gibbons is a trio of running back who all saw the rock last year - Donavin Chambers, Rocco Sesti, and Rick Pitrelli. Focus at WR will be on returning multi-sport star Brady Welsh who is coming back from a couple injuries from the past sports season at Ellwood. The offensive line is fairly new but seems to be developing fast during the preseason and will continue to ride the success from the skill players.
- Defense - The defense will be focused around the linebacker core the Wolverines will be supporting. After switching back to a 4-3 defense, the linebackers need to be willing to cover but also blow up things in the backfield and the Wolverines have just that - returning number one tackler (65) from last season is Coulton Cunningham who will be the center focus of the linebackers. Defensive line includes newcomers as well but will be focused on speed and strength - the group will be led by defensive end Ethan Coy. Defensive Backs for the Wolverines are returning from last year for the most part, but will have to fill the gap left by graduate Lucca Botti who was a turnover machine when opposing teams passed the ball. The Wolverines will sport a 2-safety system again with a strong and free safety approach.
You can also check out the rest of the Wolverines schedule below.
Be sure to also check out our newly updated website after the game for post comments from coaches and players as well as stats and scores from around the local area. Reports after the game will be posted on our website and will be discussed in our First episode of ECS for the Wolverines football season!
Good luck to the Wolverines team and come out and support the team! #ECGOBLUE