Stingy Defense by the Quips stops the Wolverines
Defense has always been a strong suit for the Quips of Aliquippa as once again it is in the 2017 campaign. In a game where the Wolverines had 46 offensive plays, but only 10 total yards of offense on the evening, the Quips proved they have sole possession of the Beaver Valley Conference and is the team to beat in the BVC.
The first quarter was dominated by the Quips offensive yardage as the Quips held the Wolverines to negative yardage. However, the Quips did not get on the board until the 2:27 mark of the first quarter as Avante McKenzie ran 12 yards out to make the score 6-0 Quips. A 2-point run conversion was failed as the teams headed to the second quarter still 6-0.
Both teams played well on defense in the second quarter as turnovers by both teams kept the game even until mid quarter. At 5:54 in quarter 2, the Quips defensive line, led by Solvauhn Moreland, rushed the quarterback for the Wolverines, Shane Reisinger, in the endzone and picked off a tipped pass standing in the endzone. Moreland's interception and Avante McKenzie's 2 point run conversion made the score 14-0 heading into the locker rooms at halftime.
As the halftime stats came in, all categories were won by the Quips. However, the Wolverines defense mentality of "bend don't break" kept the game very competitive and respectable in the first half. The Quips on the evening averaged a weight out gain of almost 40 lbs. across the board, meaning the Wolverines would have to strike early in the second half or be worn out in the late going.
The third quarter momentum went in the way of the Quips, but even more that the first half. The Quips held the Wolverines under 30 yards at half and almost had 200 yards rushing alone at half. The Quips defense continued to dominate as the Wolverines finished 1 for 13 on third downs on the evening. Two more scores were added by the Quips in the third quarter - one by William Gipson receiving a pass from Eli Kosanovich 27 yards out, and the other by Kosanovich himself running a QB sneak 1 yard out. Both attempts for points after touchdown were failed, as the Quips headed into the fourth quarter with a commanding lead of 26-0.
The fourth quarter was another struggle for the Wolverines as the quarter finished with more negative yards than positive as they finished with 10 yards on the evening. Substitutions started to occur about half way into the quarter as the Quips had full intentions to finish the game early. The final score of the evening was by Quantavius Smith with only 20 seconds left in the game, making the wound that much worse for the Wolverines. The 2-point run conversion was failed again as the Quips made the final score 32-0, a similar reflection to last year's match-up (Wolverines lost to Quips 33-0 last year).
The Wolverines defense proved the best side of the ball for Ellwood as they held the Quips to just over 300 yards even though they were on the field for more than 30 minutes. Since the Wolverines were able to stay in the game through 3 quarters, the stats were skewed to a more competitive game which makes the evening's production very minimal on offense.
Below are the stat leaders for the Wolverines as follows:
- Passing: Andrew O'Brien - 2/9 0 TDs 0 INTs 43 Yards Long of 28 Yards
- Rushing: Rick Pitrelli - 10 Carries 20 Net Yards Long of 12 Yards
- Receiving: Luca Botti - 1 Reception 28 Yards
You can check out game stats against the Quips as well as the season stats for 2017 on our stats page today!
Notes on the Evening:
- TURNOVERS: 3 to 1 - Once again turnovers proved costly for the Wolverines as one turnover added a defensive touchdown for the Quips
- FIRST DOWNS: 14-4 - First downs were of a premium for the Wolverines as 1 of the first downs was of rushing, 2 of passing, and 1 of penalty.
- YARDS: 309 to 10 - The Wolverines defense played well limiting the damage against the Quips, but the Quips defense suffocated the Wolverines offensive line, limiting them to only 10 yards.
- AVERAGE GAIN PER PLAY: 5.1 to 0.2 - A 5.1 average gain helped the Quips establish the run, but more importantly helped move the ball with ease.
Check out stats, standings, media and pictures from games, as well as our live stream replay of the game versus Aliquippa all on our site today!
- The Wolverines will take the week to regroup, re-evaluate, and make adjustments as a potential non-conference victory is on the line in the upcoming week against Valley 1-3 (1-2) who come into play picking up their first victory of the season over a mediocre Deer Lakes team. You can catch the live stream of the game on the road approximately around 6:50PM on all of our social media pages and site.