Week Zero Results from AAA Section 1
With only a few days left till the official start of the 2017 WPIAL High School Football season, some teams in the area took Week Zero as an opportunity to play an exhibition game. Below are some of the results of the teams on Ellwood City's 2017 schedule:
- Beaver 69 - New Brighton 21
- Quaker Valley 55 - Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic 21
- Freedom 7 - Hopewell 3
- Derry 29 - Latrobe 14
- Aliquippa 24 - New Castle 0
- South Fayette 20 - Central Valley 0
Some big news from Week Zero include:
- The offensive powerhouse Beaver put up against New Brighton without Darius Wise (graduated) to lean on.
- Quaker Valley looked stout against CWNC as Ricky Guss threw 3TDs and ran for 3 TDs.
- Hopewell's young roster struggled against Freedom's defense as they only score 3 points.
- Derry continues to build strides after last year's historical run to the playoffs.
- Aliquippa shuts out New Castle and continues to show dominance in WPIAL play.
- Central Valley loses in shut out, but more importantly loses Aliquippa-transfer Jelani Solomon to an injury early in the game. More details to come during the week as EC's first game is this Friday against Central Valley.
Look for more information regarding Week 1 and predictions via The W-Zone. Also, be sure to check out this year's roster as well as media page for all media day pictures. Check out our live stream for Friday's game against Central Valley here or on our YouTube page (Ellwood City Wolverines). Finally, be sure to check back in at the end of the week for a new show, "The W-Zone" hosted by Thad Sturgeon and others discussing EC football as well as interviews with coaches and players.